While SunTrust was a respected regional brand for decades, the bank wanted to differentiate itself as a purpose-driven financial institution committed to Lighting the Way to Financial Well-Being. Harnessing research and innovation, Cookerly crafted a strategic program across PESO channels (paid, earned, social, owned) to showcase the bank’s evolution and community-service mindset.
Throughout a nine-year partnership, Cookerly distinguished SunTrust from a banking “sea of sameness” with always-on thought leadership programs across business lines. A multiplier effect was achieved with massive storytelling, major market programs for the C-suite and special launch activations.
- Media tours for top leadership in NYC and major markets cultivated sustained press coverage plus “go-to” relationships.
- Surveys “created news” on trending topics, such as “love and money,” millennials’ home buying habits, holiday spending tips and more.
- Robust media outreach for the onUp movement at the Super Bowl, SunTrust Park and onUp on Tour across the Southeast highlighted offerings to advance financial well-being for consumers.
- The visibility campaign also elevated SunTrust’s wholesale specialty groups spanning commercial real estate, healthcare, ports and logistics, food/agribusiness and more.
Our work helped shift SunTrust’s image from a “traditional regional bank” to a national purpose-driven organization that championed financial confidence for consumers and businesses.
- More than 6,000 media placements and billions of impressions consistently put SunTrust’s expertise in the headlines.
- Priority outlets included The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, Bloomberg, Reuters, USA Today, AP, Business Insider, NPR, CNN, CNBC, FOX Business News, Millennial Magazine, American Banker, plus top trades and regional publications.
- Extensive visibility across media and social channels boosted SunTrust’s credibility, attracted website visits and triggered inquiries and new business.
- Awards: 10 PRSA Georgia Phoenix awards, including Best of Show for integrated PR and marketing program, three national Stevie awards and multiple local awards for bank leaders.